The junior running back won ASN’s FBS Player of the Week honors with 45% of 571 votes.
Williams had 133 rushing and 45 receiving yards and set the single-game record with 28 rushing attempts. He is third in Conference USA with 503 yards rushing and fourth in the conference with 100.6 per game. He’s been on a roll the past two games with 303 yards and three touchdowns rushing.
Saturday’s win moved UTSA (1-4 overall, 1-0 conference) into a tie for first place in the Conference USA’s West Division with Southern Miss.
“It was a great team victory,” Williams said. “Offense, defense, special teams — everybody came together. We focused in. We didn’t worry about the past, you know, the past four games.”
Dartmouth’s Dalyn Williams won ASN’s FCS Player of the Week.
The FBS nominees included Kent State’s Antwan Dixon, Western Kentucky’s Brandon Doughty and Toledo’s defense:
- Dixon, a freshman receiver, has touched the ball only 14 times this season but is averaging 16.8 yards after gaining 135 yards, including a 75-yard touchdown run, in a 20-14 victory against Miami (Ohio). Dixon ran three times for 72 yards and caught six passes for 63 yards against Miami. On the season, he has 253 yards and three touchdowns on five runs and nine catches.
- Doughty, a senior quarterback, has passed for 2,000 yards, second in FBS behind Bowling Green’s Matt Johnson (2,028), after throwing for 409 yards. He moved into the NCAA’s career top 100 with 9,800 yards. He also threw for four touchdowns — all in the first half — and has 15 touchdown passes this season, third in FBS. (TCU’s Treyvone Boykin and Baylor’s Seth Russell both have 19.)
- No. 24 Toledo’s defense earned an ASN first — a unit nomination — because you can’t pick just one from the No. 2 red-zone defense in FBS. Senior defensive end Trent Voss (right) made 7 tackles, including 3 for losses and 1 sack, against Ball State. Junior linebacker Jaylen Coleman led the team in tackles (8) for the fourth consecutive game. And senior cornerback Cheatham Norrils had 6 tackles and 2 pass breakups. Besides, there’s no “I” in Toledo.
The results of your voting at americansportsnet.com:
Who is your choice for FBS Player of the Week?
- Jarveon Williams, UTSA (45%, 257 Votes)
- Antwan Dixon, Kent State (32%, 181 Votes)
- Brandon Doughty, Western Kentucky (14%, 82 Votes)
- Defense, Toledo (9%, 51 Votes)
Total Voters: 571
FBS winners gallery
Above: UTSA’s Jarveon Williams stares down an Oklahoma State defender earlier this season. (Courtesy Jeff Huehn, UTSA Athletics)