Dominique Allen, who rushed for a career-high 166 yards and a touchdown in The Citadel’s 44-25 Southern Conference victory against Samford, won ASN’s FCS Player of the Week honors with a record 6,240 votes.
The sophomore quarterback also completed a pass for 28 yards, but led the No. 2-ranked rushing offense in FCS (344.2 yards per game) with 29 carries. The Bulldogs finished with 424 yards and six touchdowns on 72 carries and remained tied with Chattanooga atop the SoCon at 3-0.
Old Dominion’s Zach Pascal won FBS Player of the Week.
FCS voting set a record for the third consecutive week with Allen garnering 63% of 9,827 votes cast. The nominees included Richmond’s Kyle Lauletta, Holy Cross’ Peter Pujals and Kennesaw State’s Trey White:
- Lauletta, a redshirt sophomore quarterback, threw for a career-high 312 yards and a touchdown and ran 14 yards for another score in a 37-12 victory against Rhode Island, setting up a CAA showdown on Saturday against James Madison and Vad Lee, the fourth-leading passer in FCS. Lauletta, who completed nine passes to wide receiver Reggie Diggs for 142 yards, is second in CAA passing with 1,510 yards and 10 touchdowns.
- Pujals, a junior quarterback, passed for a school single-game record 508 yards, the fourth 500-yard game in Patriot League history, in a 47-41 overtime loss to 13th-ranked Fordham. He threw for four touchdowns on 35-of-70 passing, a school record for attempts. He also rushed five times for 18 yards to finish with a school-record 526 total yards, the fourth-highest in league history.
- White, a junior quarterback, rushed for 170 yards in a 12-7 victory against Gardner-Webb in the first-year program’s Big South Conference debut. It marked the first time in conference history, other than its first season in 2002, that a newcomer won the first league game it played. White also threw for 114 yards, including a 39-yarder late in the fourth quarter that set up the Owls’ last of four field goals.
The final count at americansportsnet.com:
Who is your choice for FCS Player of the Week?
- Dominique Allen, Citadel (63%, 6,240 Votes)
- Peter Pujals, Holy Cross (33%, 3,269 Votes)
- Kyle Lauletta, Richmond (3%, 248 Votes)
- Trey White, Kennesaw State (1%, 70 Votes)
Total Voters: 9,827