Sam Houston State, which returns quarterback Jared Johnson and lost only two starters from last season, appears ready to make a run at four-time FCS champion North Dakota State. NDSU eliminated the Bearkats in the tournament final or semifinals three of those seasons. Johnson, a redshirt junior, accounted for 4,053 yards last season — 3,054 passing, 999 rushing — in his first full season as starter.
Abilene Christian, high-scoring Central Arkansas (40.7 points per game last season), Lamar, McNeese State and Stephen F. Austin along with two-time co-champion Southeastern Louisiana expect to be in the title race.
Southeastern Louisiana kicks off the Southland’s 12-game schedule on ASN on Sept. 3 at Northwestern State.
Conference coaches selected Sam Houston State as preseason favorites, but ASN wants to know what you think:
Who do you think will win the Southland Conference?
- Sam Houston State (61%, 196 Votes)
- Stephen F. Austin (7%, 22 Votes)
- McNeese State (6%, 20 Votes)
- Central Arkansas (6%, 20 Votes)
- Southeastern Louisiana (6%, 18 Votes)
- Nicholls State (4%, 12 Votes)
- Lamar (3%, 10 Votes)
- Northwestern State (3%, 9 Votes)
- Abilene Christian (2%, 8 Votes)
- Incarnate Word (2%, 5 Votes)
- Houston Baptist (1%, 2 Votes)
Total Voters: 322