After leading the nation in rushing the first week of the college football season, Old Dominion’s Ray Lawry led the voting to win ASN’s inaugural FBS Player of the Week honors.
The sophomore running back took 62% of 1,645 votes after gaining a career-high 223 yards, the most of any FBS running back last week.
He also ran for four touchdowns in the Monarchs’ 34-31 victory against Eastern Michigan on ASN, including the game-winning 45-yarder with 1:57 remaining.
Sam Houston State’s Donavan Williams won ASN’s inaugural FCS Player of the Week.
The FBS nominees included Bowling Green quarterback Matt Johnson, Northern Illinois receiver Kenny Golladay and Marshall defensive back Tiquan Lang.
- Johnson, a redshirt senior, threw for a career-high 424 yards — the second-highest total in FBS last weekend — and two touchdowns in the Falcons’ 59-30 loss at No. 25 Tennessee.
- Golladay, a redshirt junior, was the nation’s leading receiver last week with 213 yards on nine receptions in the Huskies’ 38-30 victory against UNLV.
- Lang, a junior, became the second player in Conference USA history to return two interceptions for touchdowns in the same game. He also made 17 tackles in the Thundering Herd’s 41-31 victory over Purdue in their first game against a Big Ten opponent.
The results of voting at americansportsnet.com:
- Ray Lawry, Old Dominion (62%, 1,015 Votes)
- Matt Johnson, Bowling Green (18%, 294 Votes)
- Kenny Golladay, Northern Illinois (11%, 184 Votes)
- Tiquan Lang, Marshall (9%, 152 Votes)
Total Voters: 1,645
Above: Old Dominion’s Ray Lawry earned ASN’s inaugural FBS Player of the Week honors. (Photos courtesy of ODU Athletics)