Watch Tuesday’s first-round game, Wednesday’s second-round games and Thursday’s quarterfinal games on ASN and livestreams on americansportsnet.com.
WHO ARE THE FAVORITES?
- Key question: Which team in C-USA can stand up to the Birmingham Bullies and their dominating interior defense? Can anyone beat UAB in Birmingham?
- Key stats: 3BPG (No. 2 NCAA), William Lee 3.1BPG (T3 NCAA); +4.8 rebound margin (No. 3 C USA); UAB has won 28 in a row in Birmingham.
- Key question: Can anyone stop coach Kermit Davis and the Blue Raiders, who boast two of the best shooters in the country?
- Key stats: Overall 39% 3PT (No. 27 NCAA), Conference 40% 3PT (No. 2 C-USA); Giddy Potts: 49.3% 3PT (No. 2 NCAA); Darnell Harris: 40.8% 3PT (No. 8 C-USA).
- Key questions: Who wants to guard the dynamic James Kelly 1-on-1? What C-USA team can slow down the Herd's thundering offense?
- Key stats: 92.0PPG (No. 1 C-USA), James Kelly 23.1PPG (No. 2 C-USA)
- Key question: How do you stop Eric Konkol’s Bulldogs on a roll in C-USA?
- Key stats: Started 2-3, 73.6PPG, +2.8PPG scoring margin in C-USA, finished 10-3, 81.9PPG, +6.0PPG scoring margin.
WHO ELSE COULD MAKE A RUN?
- If guard play wins in March, Trey Freeman (above) and Aaron Bacote can deliver a C-USA title for Old Dominion.
- UTEP’s Tim Floyd can coach. Can he guide his young core of Miners to a C-USA championship?
- Western Kentucky typically peak in March as they have won four of their last five. Could four-time national championship coach Ray Harper (2x NAIA, 2X NCAA D-2) and WKU surprise the field?
- Can rookie head coach Mark Price of Charlotte drive his NBA offense to a net-cutting ceremony?
- Can Rice freshman Marcus Evans finish off a spectacular first season and deliver the Owls to the promise land?
- FIU boasts one of the great shot blockers in the country in Adrian Diaz (3.0 per game). Can Diaz and FIU ‘D’eliver in Birmingham?
PROJECTED AUTOMATIC BID
Trey Freeman photo courtesy of ODU Athletics