We love college football at ASN. And we love bringing college football to you. With 24 hours until Thursday night's kickoff, we compiled 24 reasons the ASN team is excited about the upcoming season. What are yours? Let us know on Twitter and Facebook.
ASN studio anchor Doug Chapman, who played at Marshall and for five seasons in the NFL, kicks it off:
1. The smell of the freshly cut grass on game day.
2. The musty smell of the shoulder pads as you pull them over your head.
3. The deafening sound of the crowd on 3rd down.
4. The feeling of giving 100% and leaving it all on the field weekend after weekend.
From ASN reporter Monica McNutt, who played basketball at Georgetown:
5. The thrill of competition! I mean seriously, outside of the sports world (and various fantasy leagues) when do you get to go head to head and prove just how hard you've worked? I can only speak for myself but, I miss competing at a high level so much since my playing days have ended. Looking forward to some great match ups on our airways.
From the ASN team:
6. Seeing the players finally line up against players other than themselves ... pumped to see true competition after months of preparation.
7. Welcome back to FBS, Charlotte.
8. Welcome back to FCS, East Tennessee State and Kennesaw State.
9. Conference USA quarterbacks.
10. Conference USA running backs.
11. Two of the best quarterbacks outside FBS: Villanova's John Robertson and James Madison's Vad Lee.
12. Watching every team ranked in the top 10 going into possible upset alert each and every week.
13. The rivalries.
14. The Rivalry (Lafayette vs. Lehigh).
16. Chicken wings.
19. Marching bands.
20. More cowbell.
21. The teal turf at Coastal Carolina's Benton Field.
22. The Horseshoe (Ohio Stadium).
23. The start of a new era in University of Michigan football … Jim Harbaugh! I am a “Har-Bro”!
And finally, from ASN college basketball analyst Mark Adams:
24. We are officially 1 football season closer to college basketball!
Contributing: Carlyn M. Chavez, ASN executive assistant; Ed Grom, director of conference relations; Kathy Kudravi, ASN executive web producer; Bill Lutzen, ASN vice president of operations; Clifford Smith, ASN director of sales; Kenzie Stanford, ASN social media producer; Linda Willhite, ASN studio producer; Mike Bambach, senior web producer.
On the cover: We're ready to take the tarp off the anchor desk at ASN's Studio A in West Palm Beach, Fla. (ASN photo)