It’s that time! Three things to watch heading into the Southland Conference men’s basketball tournament, which tips off Wednesday.
- Key question: For the second time in three seasons SFA went undefeated in conference play. Can anyone challenge Thomas Walkup and the Lumberjacks dominance of the Southland?
- Key stats: Overall—79.9PPG (No. 31 NCAA), 63.1PPG allowed (No. 13 NCAA), +16.8PPG scoring margin (No. 2 NCAA); conference—82.7PPG (No. 1 Southland), 59.5PPG allowed (No. 1 Southland), +23.2PPG scoring margin (No. 1 Southland); Walkup: 17.3PPG (No.4 Southland), 6.9RPG (No. 4 Southland), 4.6APG (No. 5 Southland), 2.1SPG (no. 2 Southland), 60%FG (No. 1 Southland).
- Key question: What team can most effectively attack the Islander’s high risk/high reward defense?
- Key stats: 4.8 blocks per game (No. 2 Southland), 10.0 steals per game (No. 1 Southland).
- Key question: Can Sam Houston State ride their collective ability to share the ball and protect the ball to a Southland championship?
- Key stats: 17.1 assists per game (No. 16 NCAA), 1.5/1 assist/turnover ratio (No. 17 NCAA); 20.1 APG in wins, 10.7 turnovers per game in losses; overall 13.4 APG, 12.4 TOPG.
- Houston Baptist
- Southeastern Louisiana
PROJECTED AUTOMATIC BID
STEPHEN F. AUSTIN