Vad Lee, who is always a threat to score, tallied another honor following a historic performance last week.
Lee, the first player in NCAA Division I history to pass and rush for 275 yards in the same game, won ASN’s FCS Player of the Week honors with 51% of 1,393 votes at americansportsnet.com.
James Madison’s senior quarterback scored five touchdowns and gained 565 yards of total offense in the Dukes’ 48-45 victory against FBS opponent SMU. With 276 yards rushing and 289 yards passing, he shattered his own school record of 478 total yards last season at Villanova. He also broke Warren Marshall’s school record of 264 yards rushing against William & Mary in 1986.
And his 17-yard touchdown pass to sophomore wide receiver John Miller with 27 seconds remaining gave the Dukes their fifth win ever against an FBS opponent as JMU improved to 4-0 for the first time since 1978.
Lee also was named the STATS FCS National Offensive Player of the Week and CAA Football’s Offensive Player of the Week.
Louisiana Tech running back Kenneth Dixon won ASN’s FCS Player of the Week.
FCS nominees included William & Mary’s Kendell Anderson, Charleston Southern’s Mike Holloway and Penn’s Justin Watson.
- Anderson, a junior running back, outgained Stony Brook’s offense in William & Mary’s 21-0 CAA victory against the Seawolves, rushing for a career-high 191 yards on 19 carries with two touchdowns. He scored on runs of 28 and 59 yards, a career long, in the ninth-best single-game rushing performance in school history. Stony Brook 167 yards of total offense.
- Holloway, a junior running back, rolled up a career-high 172 yards rushing and three touchdowns in the Buccaneers’ 33-20 Big South victory against Citadel. His 73-yard touchdown run with 3:54 remaining clinched CSU’s third consecutive victory against the Bulldogs.
- Watson, a sophomore receiver, made five catches for 87 yards, including touchdown receptions of 12 and 33 yards, in the first half of the Quakers’ historic 24-13 victory against Villanova. It was Penn’s first win against the Wildcats since 1911 and the Quakers’ first road win ever against a top-five team. Watson did not play in the second half because of a shoulder injury.
The final vote on americansportsnet.com:
Who is your choice for FCS Player of the Week?
- Vad Lee, James Madison (51%, 713 Votes)
- Justin Watson, Penn (28%, 385 Votes)
- Mike Holloway, Charleston Southern (19%, 264 Votes)
- Kendell Anderson, William & Mary (2%, 31 Votes)
Total Voters: 1,393