Two ASN-affiliated athletes have been named to the list of 10 finalists for 2016 USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year. Pitchers Kylee Hanson of Florida Atlantic and Megan Good of James Madison headline the group.
The top three finalists will be announced on May 25, with the winner announced on May 31 before the start of the NCAA Women’s College World Series in Oklahoma City.
Hanson was named 2016 Conference USA Pitcher of the Year and All-Conference USA First Team. On the season, she is 26-3 with 273 strikeouts. She is No. 1 nationally with 14 shutouts and is second in the nation with a 0.64 ERA. Good carries a 0.91 ERA with her 28-2 record and has 16 complete games this season. Good is the CAA Pitcher of the Year. The Dukes are ranked No. 7 in the USA Today/NFCA Poll and are the top seed in the CAA tournament. The CAA championship game will be broadcast on ASN on Friday at 7 p.m.
The award, in it’s 15th year and considered one of the most prestigious in women’s collegiate softball, is voted on by coaching representatives of 10 Division I conferences in the 15 ASA/USA Softball Regions, members of the media who regularly cover Division 1 softball as well as past winners of the award.
- Kasey Cooper (Auburn) – junior infielder
- Lexie Elkins (Louisiana-Lafayette) – senior catcher
- Megan Good (James Madison) – sophomore pitcher
- Delanie Gourley (Florida) – junior pitcher
- Sara Groenewegen (Minnesota) – junior pitcher
- Kylee Hanson (Florida Atlantic) – junior pitcher
- Haylie McCleney (Alabama) – senior outfielder
- Aleshia Ocasio (Florida) – sophomore pitcher
- Sierra Romero (Michigan) – senior infielder
- Karley Wester (Notre Dame) – junior outfielder
Above photo: Kylee Hanson courtesy FAU Athletics
Middle photo: Megan Good courtesy JMU Athletics Communications.