Sam Houston State’s Donavan Williams won ASN’s inaugural FCS Player of the Week honors after becoming the seventh player in school history to score four touchdowns in a game during a 59-45 loss to Texas Tech.
The senior running back earned 69% of 564 votes after finishing with 12 carries for 99 yards to help the Bearkats pile up 671 yards of offense against a Big 12 opponent.
Old Dominion’s Ray Lawry won ASN’s inaugural FBS Player of the Week.
The FCS nominees included Jacksonville State linebacker Joel McCandless, James Madison quarterback Vad Lee and Fordham running back Chase Edmonds.
- McCandless, a sophomore, made six tackles, including a pair of tackles for a loss and one sack. in the No. 7 Gamecocks’ 23-20 victory against No. 8 Chattanooga in an FCS top-10 battle. He helped lead a defense that limited the high-powered Mocs offense to 196 yards and quarterback Jacob Heusman to 86 yards passing.
- Lee, a redshirt senior, accounted for 402 yards and four touchdowns in the Dukes’ 56-7 victory against Morehead State. He threw for 297 yards and three touchdowns on 18-of-25 passing and ran 13 times for 105 yards, including a 66-yard touchdown, for his third career 100-yard rushing game.
- Edmonds, a sophomore, carried 20 times for 110 yards and three touchdowns and caught six passes for a career-high 140 yards in Fordham’s 37-35 victory against Army West Point on Friday, the first of four victories last weekend by an FCS team over an FBS opponent.
The results of voting at americansportsnet.com:
- Donavan Williams, Sam Houston State (69%, 390 Votes)
- Joel McCandless, Jacksonville State (15%, 87 Votes)
- Vad Lee, James Madison (9%, 49 Votes)
- Chase Edmonds, Fordham (7%, 38 Votes)
Total Voters: 564
Above: Sam Houston State’s Donavan Williams earned ASN’s inaugural FCS Player of the Week honors. (Photos courtesy of Southland Conference)