He received the most votes of any ASN Player of the Week nominee this season (1,533) to take FCS honors.
The senior quarterback completed 23 of 25 passes — breaking a a school mark that stood for 53 years — for 336 yards and four touchdowns in Dartmouth’s 41-21 victory. He also ran for 73 yards and two more scores for his third 400-yard game. He connected with senior teammate Victor Williams on 12 receptions for 213 yards and two touchdowns.
Williams also earned Ivy League Offensive Player of the Week honors as well as FCS National Offensive Player of the Week by STATS, FCS National Performer of the Week by the College Football Performance Awards, a National All-Star by College Sporting News and the Gold Helmet Award by the New England Football Writers’ Association.
“The play is never really over when he has the ball,” said Yale head coach Tony Reno, whose 3-0 team faces Williams and the 3-0 Big Green on Saturday. “He’s one of the best I’ve seen in this league in a long time.”
UTSA’s Jarveon Williams won ASN’S FBS Player of the Week.
The other FCS nominees included Eastern Kentucky’s Stanley Absanon, Fordham’s Chase Edmonds and Yale’s Deshawn Salter.
- Absanon, a senior cornerback and Ohio Valley Conference Specialist of the Week. totaled 141 return yards that set up three scores in the Colonels’ near-upset of SEC opponent and in-state rival Kentucky. Absanon averaged 25.4 yards on five kickoff returns, including a 42-yarder to open the third quarter that set up a touchdown. He also had a 22-yard interception return in the 34-27 overtime loss.
- Edmonds, a sophomore running back, gained a career-high 234 yards and three touchdowns as Fordham won at Lafayette for the first time since 2007. Edmonds, who leads FCS with 654 yards in five games, recorded his 13th 100-yard game and third 200-yard performance of his career as the Rams avenged their only Patriot League loss the past two seasons, the Leopards in 2013.
- Salter, a sophomore running back, waited a season and two games for his chance to start at tailback for the Bulldogs and made the most of it. He rushed for 233 yards and two touchdowns in a 27-12 victory against Lehigh as Yale improved to 3-0. Salter, who previously had 17 carries for 51 yards this season, averaged 8 yards in recording the fifth-highest rushing total in school history.
The results of your voting at americansportsnet.com:
Who is your choice for FCS Player of the Week?
- Dalyn Williams, Dartmouth (64%, 1,553 Votes)
- Stanley Absanon, Eastern Kentucky (34%, 826 Votes)
- Chase Edmonds, Fordham (1%, 24 Votes)
- Deshawn Salter, Yale (0%, 6 Votes)
Total Voters: 2,409