In the hierarchy of needs, it’s unclear who wins between Alec Morris and North Texas.
Safe to say, they need each other. North Texas needs a quarterback, and Morris might have the size (6-3, 233 pounds), accurate arm, maturity and big-program experience the Mean Green needs.
Morris, a graduate transfer from Alabama, just needs to play.
He is hoping for a breakout season similar to former Louisiana Tech quarterback Jeff Driskel. A graduate transfer from Florida and the SEC, Driskel earned Conference USA Newcomer of the Year last season and put himself in position to be selected for the NFL Draft this month. He passed for 4,033 yards, ranking rank third in school history, and 27 touchdowns with only eight.
Morris said there were times he thought he was close to a breakthrough with the Crimson Tide.
“Absolutely,” he added. “It’s nothing I need to get into, but I always felt if I worked hard, good things would happen. Obviously that wasn’t the case, but it’s no one’s fault. That’s how life rolls sometimes.”
He’s just one player hoping to find success with a change in FBS.
FBS TRANSFERS TO WATCH
An early list of ASN-affiliated FBS transfer players to watch in 2016:
- Akron (MAC): WR JoJo Natson (Utah State)
- Alabama (SEC): WR Gehrig Dieter* (Bowling Green)
- North Texas (Conference USA): QB Alec Morris* (Alabama); DT Bryce English
- Toledo (MAC): LB Jeremi Powell (Florida); DT Earl Moore (Miami, Fla.)
- Western Kentucky (Conference USA): LBs Keith Brown and Nick Dawson-Brents (Louisville); QB Tyler Ferguson (Louisville); QB Mike White (USF)