On Tuesday Terrell, along with fellow ASN-affiliated athletes Zay Jones of East Carolina and Cooper Rush of Central Michigan were named as part of the 12 finalists for the award called the academic Heisman.
With the announcement of finalist status, the 12 student-athletes are awarded $18,000 postgraduate scholarships. One winner - to be announced Dec. 6 at the National Football Foundation annual banquet - will have his scholarship increased to $25,000.
"We are extremely proud to announce this year's finalists for the Campbell Trophy, who make up the National Scholar-Athlete Class," said NFF President & CEO Steve Hatchell. "These young men have an unrelenting commitment to excellence in all aspects of their lives, and they represent all that is right in college football. They serve as living examples of our mission of Building Leaders Through Football, and we are excited to honor their hard work and accomplishments with postgraduate scholarships."
San Jose State
Saint John's (Minn.)
Delta State (Miss.)
2016 NFF National Scholar-Athlete Class Highlights
- 3.69 Average GPA
- 12 Captains, including six players who have been captains for two or more years
- 6 Academic All-America Selections (Beaschler, Edwards, Ellis, Hanson, Rush, Schult)
- 11 Academic All-Conference Athletes
- 4 All-America picks (Edwards, Hanson, Schult, Sullivan)
- 9 All-Conference selections (including one all-independent selection)
- 5 Players Who Have Already Graduated (Crawley, Edwards, Hill, Rush, Terrell), with five more on track to graduate by this December (Beaschler, Ellis, Jones, Schult, Sullivan)
- 3 Members of Conference Championship Teams (Beaschler, Hanson, Sullivan)
- 6 Offensive Players (Crawley, Hill, Jones, Rush, Sullivan, Terrell)
- 6 Defensive Players (Beaschler, Edwards, Ellis, Hanson, Janvion, Schult)
Above: Zach Terrell (Courtesy Western Michigan Athletics)