The senior quarterback edged Mike Thomas of Southern Miss by 42 votes after passing for 430 yards and five touchdowns in a 48-0 victory against Kent State, which came into the game No. 1 in MAC total defense. Not anymore.
Johnson, the FBS passing leader with 3,321 yards and 29 TDs this season, has thrown for more than 400 yards in six of the Falcons’ eight games. He’s also passed for five touchdowns in three consecutive games and has only three interceptions on the season.
Johnson, the MAC East Division Offensive Player of the Week, also added 45 yards rushing and another touchdown, accounting for six total touchdowns for the second time this season.
Now let the #MattyJHeisman hype begin!
— BGSU Athletics (@BGathletics) October 28, 2015
Fordham’s Chase Edmonds won ASN’s FCS Player of the Week.
The FBS nominees included Thomas, Toledo’s Phillip Ely and Florida International’s Jonnu Smith:
- After Ely’s three interceptions in the first half, the No. 19 Rockets found themselves trailing UMass 28-10. But the senior quarterback rallied 8-0 Toledo with four of his career-high five touchdown passes, tied for third-most in school history, in the second half of a 51-35 MAC victory. He also finished with a career-high 355 passing yards, including 198 in the second half.
- Smith, a junior, made 10 receptions for 183 yards and two touchdowns in a 41-12 Conference USA victory against Old Dominion to become the school’s career leader in receiving by a tight end. He has 141 receptions for 1,495 yards, surpassing Sam Smith (133 catches for 1,383 yards). He also surpassed his own single-game school record for receiving yards by a tight end (140 against Middle Tennessee last season).
- Thomas, a senior, topped 100 yards receiving for a school-record fifth consecutive game in a 44-10 victory over Charlotte in the first football meeting of the Conference USA charter members. Thomas hauled in a 69-yard pass from Nick Mullens to start the Golden Eagles’ offensive onslaught — they scored 30 unanswered points after Charlotte’s first-quarter field goal. Thomas finished with six catches for 105 yards.
The final tally at americansportsnet.com:
Who is your choice for FBS Player of the Week?
- Matt Johnson, Bowling Green (42%, 387 Votes)
- Mike Thomas, Southern Miss (37%, 345 Votes)
- Jonnu Smith, Florida International (14%, 127 Votes)
- Phillip Ely, Toledo (8%, 71 Votes)
Total Voters: 930